Context: I kind of am (and will always be) a Software Engineer.
Or in other words, if you can't bring your own engineers on board, you have no business being or wanting to be a Product Manager (the whole product vision, influencing without authority, bribing the team with donuts and doing the boss's laundry comes into play here).
PS: If all you're going to take away from this post is that my font selection sucks (copy and pasting from vim, notepad++, MS Word), you have a good eye.
PPS: Wipe that smug grin off your face. Four eyes.
My curiosity shifted from
how things were being built to more of a “why things are being built”. At the
time I didn’t realize that the area was called Product Management. I was the
internal voice of the customer – I wanted to be more than that. I had a good
view of the leaves and the branches and not only did I want to look at the
forest but I wanted to make sense of what I was looking at. This is why I went
back to business school: to get the tools to bridge the gap between where I was
and where I wanted to be.
I like the area where
business meets technology and I like speaking different “languages”. Interacting with my customers, engineers, marketing, legal, finance and customer support excites me. More importantly I communicate with them "in their own language".
Here's something I found online that sums up interactions with engineers (as a PM):
If you can’t convince engineers to work on your
project, you can’t convince others to join you, and you can’t convince the
market.
PS: If all you're going to take away from this post is that my font selection sucks (copy and pasting from vim, notepad++, MS Word), you have a good eye.
PPS: Wipe that smug grin off your face. Four eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment